Shushkitew Collective Contract
Marketing & Communications
Language: English Essential / French an asset
Position Type: Contract, $10,000.
Location: Virtual location within Canada
The Shushkitew Collective team came together to address the inequities within the arts and cultural landscape across Canada regarding Métis arts and culture. The team includes Métis curators Tarah Hogue, Rhianne Chartrand; artist and cultural producer Jaime Morse; curators and academics Jason Baerg and Michelle McGeough, PhD.
Our collective is composed of prominent Métis artists, curators, art historians, and arts educators actively working to support the creation, presentation, interpretation, and reception of Indigenous art in Canada and abroad. We have each used our positions of influence in similar but different ways to advance Indigenous art, supporting our First Nations and Inuit relations as much as our own Métis artists. We feel that we are best positioned to hone in on and help build a stronger national community of Métis creatives so that we may collectively address our concerns and work together for our greater inclusion in institutional spaces, be it the gallery, theatre, or on-screen.
In working together, Shushkitew continues to promote Métis artists, academics and curators inclusion and consensus building on areas ALL CAN AGREE upon. This involves concerted partnerships outside the Métis sector. Moreover, communication within the Métis arts sector is integral as many cultural professionals’ work within a climate of isolation – whether geographically or professionally
As part of the Shushkitew multi-disciplinary team, the Marketing & Communications candidate is primarily responsible for planning and implementing the marketing and communications strategy in support of our activities, programs and services, national campaigns, and internal/external communications.
The focus is to ensure a relevant consistent public image/vision is communicated to all of Shushkitew partners, members and stakeholders.
- Diploma or Degree in Marketing, Communications, Public Relations or related field;
- Minimum of two years experience working in a marketing/communication position; • Social media and design experience using multiple platforms ie: YouTube, Instagram, Facebook, Web, InDesign, Hootsuite, Canva.
- Effective at creating compelling written and oral communications;
- The ability to support the development and write grants, funding proposals, and presentations;
- Strong relationship building skills with a demonstrated ability to interact effectively and build rapport with a wide range of professionals;
- Proven ability to work independently and within a team environment;
- Demonstrated ability to be well organized and to balance multiple priorities while maintaining a high degree of accuracy and attention to detail;
- Effective communication skills both verbal and written in English (French considered a strong asset).
Key Competencies – Marketing Development In collaboration with the General Manager, develops the framework, marketing and communications priorities to reflect Shushkitew’s overall mission, mandate and strategic priorities.
Advise the General Manager on Shushkitew communication and marketing strategies and oversees at times sensitive issues/information;
Develop and manage the communications and marketing projects or media relations issues and events; anticipating and analyzing any trends and developments that require management input or action;
Establish and maintain open communication with colleagues and other professionals in the field that may address trends and facilitate a collaborative communications approach towards supporting the Metis arts and cultural community;
Respond to media requests under the direction of the General Manager;
Coordinate production of communication materials (posters, flyers, brochures, newsletters, promo items) and liaise with designers and other Shushkitew collective members and partners to ensure the products meet objectives and are on time and within budget;
Photograph Shushkitew activities or events, and create a media library for use;
Key Competencies –
- Forecast, plan, monitor, and control financial resources assigned to marketing and communications and contribute to Shushkitew’s strategic and operational planning process;
- Conduct all spending functions based on the approved budget.
Ensure information accuracy and the consistent use of Shushkitew’s visual image and partner organizations Standard Graphics are accurately used;
- Develop presentations to be utilized both internally and externally;
- Develop and manage communications for various fundraising activities to ensure strategic priorities are supported.;
- Coordinate mailings via Customer Relations Management System;
- Prepare and publish community communications
- Foster a positive relationship with co-workers and volunteers, therefore, respecting their commitment to Shushkitew programs and activities; and
- Act as an ambassador by promoting a positive community image of the Shushkitew.
For those who wish to apply, please send your resume to the attention of Liz Barron, General Manager, email@example.com no later than Friday, January 28th, at 4:30 pm (CST)